Situated along the Badger Creek, the original location of Cartwright (also known as the Badger, or Old Cartwright) was established in 1879 by pioneers following the Boundary Commission Trail. Old Cartwright began on two town sites, one owned by Mr. P.C. McKibbin, the other by Mr. J.C. Waugh. The two men admired Sir Richard Cartwright and agreed to name their towns "Cartwright". In 1885 the location of Cartwright was moved 3.2 kilometres south to its present location to coincide with the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway line through that area.
Cartwright is a village with a population of approximately 300. It is located at the corner of Highway #3 and Highway #5, in the Rural Municipality of Roblin, in the provice of Manitoba, in Canada.